Piglets safe after Heber City structure fire

Posted at 2:26 PM, Dec 30, 2012
and last updated 2012-12-30 16:26:25-05

HEBER, Utah – A Wasatch County building was destroyed in a fire on Sunday morning.

The fire happened just before 5 a.m. at 1780 East and 2400 South in Heber City.

Fire crews say there were two space heaters in the building, located behind a garage and a home, being used to keep a litter of piglets warm. It took crews more than an hour to fight the flames because cold temperatures froze their water hoses.

All the pigs are okay, but the building may have been destroyed. Crews estimate $70,000 in structure damage.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation, but crews believe the space heaters may have been a factor.