- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 3 ounces low sodium turkey bacon, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 (28-ounce) can low sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 quart homemade or low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans low sodium red kidney beans
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup small whole wheat pasta (rotini, shells, ditali, or elbow)
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- No Salt Seasoning and Pepper, to taste
Heat olive oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat If using, cook turkey bacon, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add onion, garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, no salt seasoning and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly until fragrant and softened but not browned, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and their juice, chicken broth, kidney beans, and bay leaves.
Bring to a boil over high heat; then reduce to a simmer. Add pasta. Cook for 20 minutes; season to taste with additional no salt seasoning and pepper. Discard bay leaves, stir in parsley and serve, drizzling each serving with extra-virgin olive oil.
Sponsor: Intermountain Medical Center Heart Institute