The annual fair is Utah's largest family heart fair in Utah and is sponsored by the Intermountain Medical Center Heart Institute in Murray. It’s free to all Utahns and their families. This is the first time that the fair has expanded to cover heart issues for the entire family, from children to seniors.
"Since we know that lifestyle is an important factor in the development of heart disease, and that child obesity is a significant issue in our country, we thought it was important to broaden this year's heart fair to address children's heart problems and prevention at an early age," says Donald Lappe, MD, chief of cardiology for the Intermountain Medical Center Heart Institute.
Some of the activities at the Heart Fair include:
- Health Screenings: Free health risk screenings and assessments, blood pressure and body fat analysis
- Cooking Demonstration:Learn how to prepare tasty – and heart-healthy – meals that your whole family will enjoy.
- Learn about treatment options for common heart conditions, such as arrhythmias, coronary artery disease, heart valve disease, heart failure, family history and signs and symptoms of heart attack and stroke
- Heart Seminars: Dr. Brent Muhlestein: Air Pollution and Effects on Heart Disease; and Dr. Arvind Hoskoppal: Childhood Obesity and Effects on Heart Disease
- Go Red For Women: Focusing on women & heart disease. Join us in a relaxing atmosphere and win cool prizes
- Meditation Demo & Participation: Learn how meditation can reduce your stress levels and lower your risk of heart disease
- CPR Demo: Learn how you can save a life by learning CPR
- Children’s Activities: Life size games - Operation, Whack-A-Snack, Teddy Bear Clinic and family photo booth
- Free Family Photo Booth:Get a free family snapshot!
- Murray Fire Truck Tour: Give always for kids and fire prevention handouts
- Life Flight Helicopter:Get a close up look at one of these amazing aircraft
Mark your calendar! The 2015 Family Heart Fair is Saturday, Feb. 7, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., at Intermountain Medical Center, 5121 South Cottonwood Street in Murray.