SALT LAKE COUNTY, Utah — Three informational public open houses have been scheduled for residents to learn about five potential sites for the new Utah State Correctional Facility.
The events will take place in Salt Lake Tooele and Utah counties.
The open houses are sponsored by the Prison Relocation Committee. Each event will have informational displays as well as a moderated question-and-answer session. Officials will also be at the open houses to answer questions.
“We are committed to making this decision-making process as transparent as possible and encouraging meaningful public participation,” Rep. Brad Wilson, co-chair of the PRC, stated in a press release Tuesday. “We want to take this opportunity to both education the public and get their feedback.”
The open houses will take place from 4 to 9 p.m. The question and answer sessions will take place from 7 to 9 p.m.
Open houses will scheduled at the following places:
Promontory Building, Utah State Fairpark
155 N. 1000 West
Salt Lake City
Grantsville High School
155 E. Cherry Street
Frontier Middle School
1427 Mid Valley Road
The PRC intends to hold a formal public hearing regarding the final sites. The five finalist sites being considered as the new location for the prison are:
* I-80 / 7200 West in Salt Lake County – This site is located west of the Salt Lake City International Airport.
* SR 112/Depot Boundary Road in Tooele County – This site is located near the Miller Motor Sports Park between the cities of Tooele and Grantsville.
* Lake Mountains West in Utah County – This site is located at the southernmost part of Eagle Mountain City.
* Cedar Valley South in Utah County – This site is located southwest of Eagle Mountain City at the southern end of the town of Fairfield along SR 73.
* SR 138 Industrial Site in Tooele County – This site is located near the Walmart Distribution Center on the west side of SR 138 in Grantsville.
For more information about the Prison Relocation Commission, vision the PRC committee page at le.utah.gov/prc.