The following article is sponsored by Utah Clean Energy for UCAIR.
If you are in the market for a new car – now is a great time to consider buying electric! Here are just a few of the reasons to trade your gas-guzzler for a new state-of-the-art electric car:
- Breathe easier. We’re now in the thick of inversion season and if you’re thinking about buying a new car, switching to a car with zero emissions is a no-brainer. Vehicle emissions contribute to nearly half of all criteria air pollutants (the most harmful types of air pollution) in Utah. By switching to electric vehicles, we can help reduce air pollution immediately. And if you charge your electric vehicle with solar panels from your home or work, you’ll reduce emissions even more.
- Never pay for gasoline again. When you make the switch to an all-electric vehicle you can expect to pay about half as much to charge your car compared to purchasing fuel for a gasoline vehicle, even at today’s lower gas prices. When gasoline prices rise, the savings are even greater. Saving at the pump can have a big impact on a family’s budget. Visit Gov for more details.
- Electric cars are fun to drive. With high torque, a low center of gravity, and no gears to change, electric vehicles deliver a smooth and quiet drive. Regenerative braking technology actually allows you to charge your battery every time you slow down for a red light or coast down Parley’s Canyon. This helps improve the efficiency of your car and is part of the reason that electric vehicles have longer ranges than ever. All in all, electric vehicles can make your morning commute a downright pleasurable experience.
- Peace of mind. All-electric vehicles have far fewer moving parts, and therefore, require less maintenance. No oil changes, no spark plugs, no transmission fluid – you get the point. And that regenerative braking we just mentioned means that your brake pads are going to last a lot longer. All in all, electric vehicles are less expensive to maintain than conventional vehicles and require fewer trips to your mechanic.
- Big discounts.Through the University of Utah’s “U Drive Electric” program, you can save thousands of dollars on a new electric vehicle – but only until January 31. Coupled with state and federal tax credits, the savings on electric vehicles are really amazing.
U Drive Electric was created by the University of Utah’s Office of Sustainability, in partnership with UCAIR and Utah Clean Energy. The goal of the program is to implement creative solutions to lessen environmental impact. The University has pre-screened local dealers and arranged for substantial discounts (up to $7,500) on electric vehicles from BMW, Ford, and Nissan. Visit U Drive Electric for more information about the program and UCAIR.org for more information on other things you and your family can do to improve air quality this inversion season and all year long.