The following is sponsored by Intermountain Medical Center.
The Intermountain Medical Center Heart Institute is hosting a Free Family Heart Fair on Saturday, Feb. 6, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Intermountain Medical Center, 5300 South State, in Murray.
The annual Family Heart Fair is Utah’s largest family heart fair, and is open to the public to provide information and resources to Utah families to help them implement simple steps that encourage the entire family – kids, parents and grandparents – to live the heart-healthiest life possible.
“Heart disease is the number one cause of death in the world,” said Kirk Knowlton, MD, director of cardiovascular research at the Intermountain Medical Center Heart Institute. “Working together as a family to address heart disease is proven to yield better long-term results, so our annual heart fair is organized to teach families how to improve their diet and exercise as a family, allowing them to support each other to live happier and healthier lives.”
The family heart fair will feature a variety of events for all ages including:
- Free heart disease screenings
- Healthy-heart assessments
- EKG’s for those who are at medical risk
- A fun zone for kids
- Presentations on common heart conditions
- Heart-healthy cooking demonstrations
- Heart-healthy giveaways
- Go Red for Women Boutique
Heart disease is remains the number one killer of women in the U.S. Statistics show that one in 31 women die each year from breast cancer. But when it comes to heart disease, one in three women die – which is approximately one woman every 60 seconds. The Go Red for Women boutique is a place where women can learn about their unique risk of heart disease.
Informative heart seminars will be held in the Doty Education Center auditorium (Bldg 6) at Intermountain Medical Center on a variety of topics, including:
- 10:00 a.m. – High Blood Pressure Management: How Low Should I Go?
- 10:20 a.m. – Manage Your Blood Pressure with Health Choices
- 11:00 a.m. – Physical Activity and Healthy Aging
- 11:00 a.m. – Heart-Healthy Cooking for Everyday Meals
For more information, call the Intermountain Medical Center Heart Institute at 801-507-4701