News

Actions

Murray business evacuated after chemical spill

Posted: 5:15 PM, Jun 18, 2012
Updated: 2012-06-18 19:46:46-04

MURRAY, Utah — Individuals at a business in Murray evacuated the building Monday afternoon after a chemical odor was detected.

Fire crews responded to the incident and several people inside the business on 5900 South and 279 East complained of lung and throat irritation. Crews found an acrylic had spilled at the business, which was being remodeled.

The chemical had leaked into the ventilation system.

Fire marshal Phil Roberts from Murray City Fire says they had to ventilate the building for about 30 minutes.

“The product is lighter than air so it’ll just evaporate in the atmosphere. The clean-up will be minimal and they will be allowed back in the building and it’ll be business as usual,” said Roberts.

Roberts says it was an accident and the amount of acrylic spilled was minimal.