If you are creating your own mask to protect yourself and your loved ones from potential COVID-19 exposure, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued some guidelines.
According to the CDC, cloth face coverings should:
- fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
- be secured with ties or ear loops
- include multiple layers of fabric
- allow for breathing without restriction
- be able to be laundered and machine dried without damage or change to shape
The CDC also has posted instructions on how to sew a mask with cotton fabric, how to create one with just clothing and scissors, and how to fashion one with a coffee filter.
Federal health officials now recommend wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain, like grocery stores and pharmacies, especially in areas where there has been significant community-based transmission.