by Jennifer Burns
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chicken-tender-sized strips
- 3 egg whites (and one more if needed)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup flour (can be whole wheat, if you’d like)
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Set out three shallow bowls. Put the flour in one, egg whites in another and the panko and coconut (mix together well) along with the salt and pepper in the third. Dunk each chicken strip into the flour mixture, lightly coating all sides. Dunk into egg white mixture, then into the coconut mixture, covering all sides. Place each strip on a pan coated with cooking spray and bake for about 30-35 minutes. Test for doneness, which will vary based on thickness.
Orange Mustard Sauce
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the marmalade, mustard, ginger and soy sauce (if using). Stir well until the sauce is hot. Serve with the Coconut Chicken. Note: you do not have to heat this sauce. It can also be served at room temperature.