by Jennifer Burns, Dan’s Market
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 thumb-size piece galangal (or ginger), grated
- 1 red chili, minced or 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. chili flakes
- 2 shallots, sliced finely
- 1/2 cup firm tofu, cut into bite size pieces or 1/2 cup cooked shredded chicken or pork or cooked shrimp
- 1 carrot, grated or cut into thin strips
- 5-6 mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
- 3 green onions, sliced lengthwise into matchstick-like pieces
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, pulled apart to create “cups”
- 1/ 2 cup bean sprouts
- 1/3 cup fresh dry roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
Drizzle oil into a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, galangal (or ginger), chili, and shallots. Stir-fry one minute.
Add tofu (or shrimp/chicken/pork), carrot, mushrooms, cabbage, and green onions. While constantly stirring, cook for another 1-2 minutes.
To assemble, take a whole lettuce leaf, place 1-2 heaping tablespoons of filling in the center. Top with bean sprouts and peanuts.
Serve with Peanut Hoisin Soy Sauce.