by Jennifer Burns, Dan’s Market
- 2 pounds tomatoes, halved
- 2 large red bell peppers, divided
- 1 medium-size red onion, divided
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup cilantro, divided
- 3 tablespoons Sherry wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 English hothouse cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, finely chopped (about 2 cups)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 avocado, diced
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 450°F.
Place tomatoes on large rimmed baking sheet. Cut 4 peppers into 1-inch pieces; place on another rimmed baking sheet. Cut 3 onions into 1-inch pieces; add to peppers. Drizzle half of the oil over vegetables, tossing to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast vegetables for 30 minutes. Puree the vegetables with pan juices in processor with the water and cilantro (reserve 2 tablespoons for garnish) until smooth. Mix in the vinegar and hot pepper sauce into gazpacho. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Garnish with cucumber, avocado, remaining cilantro and oil.