News

Actions

Hazardous chemical forces evacuation of SLC building

Hazardous chemical forces evacuation of SLC building
Posted at 2:42 PM, Jul 20, 2012
and last updated 2012-07-20 16:43:52-04

SALT LAKE CITY – The Intermountain Child Development Center in downtown Salt Lake City was evacuated amid reports of a hazardous chemical inside the building’s ventilation system.

The building, located at 259 South and 500 East in Salt Lake City, was evacuated at around 1:30 p.m.

Jason Asay with the Salt Lake City Fire Dept. says a roofing crew was using a solvent containing xylene, a hazardous chemical. Fumes from the chemical made their way into the building’s air conditioning system, forcing the evacuation.

There are no injuries reported thus far.