by Jennifer Burns, Gossner Foods
- 1 pound ground beef or pork
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons Gossner milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup shredded Gossner Provolone Cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- 2 1/4 cups spinach, loosely packed and washed, divided
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 tomato slices
- Salt and Pepper to taste
In a bowl, mix the beef or pork, chili powder, onion powder, milk, egg, salt and pepper on each patty. Shape into 8 thin patties. Top 4 patties with the provolone cheese evenly, in the center. Top each with the remaining patties and seal edges well. Grill burgers, approximately 12-13 minutes total, turning once, or until burgers are done, on a medium-high grill.
When burgers are just about done, grill buns lightly. To make the pesto, add 2 cup of the spinach, garlic, cheese, salt and pepper to a food processor. Stream in the oil.
Spread the pesto inside of each roll. Top burgers with remaining spinach and tomato slices. Serve immediately.