by Jennifer Burns, Dan’s Market
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups yellow onions, chopped (about 2-3 onions)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven or soup pot. Add the chopped onions and cook over medium to low heat until translucent and starting to color, about 10 minutes; stir frequently. Stir in the brown sugar, balsamic, salt, and pepper. Lower the heat and cook gently, uncovered, for about 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are light brown and caramelized. Set aside and let cool.
In a medium bowl, mix together the sour cream and mayonnaise or yogurt. Stir in the caramelized onions. Add in the Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper; stir well.
Chill until ready to serve. Serve with vegetables, chips, crackers or lightly toasted baguette slices.