By Jennifer Burns, Gossner Foods
- 3 -4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and broken
- 2 large yellow onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons Gossner Butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 ½ cups Gossner Milk
- 1 ½ cups Gossner Cream
- 4 (10 ounce) cans baby clams, undrained
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon Pinch of paprika
- Pinch of chives, optional
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Fry bacon in a large Dutch oven until crisp, remove with slotted spoon and set aside. Add onion to pot, sauté until softened, then add potatoes and chicken stock. Season with cayenne, salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
In a second large saucepan, melt butter, whisk in flour, whisking to make a roux. Cook for 1 minute, then add milk and cream while whisking. Cook over low heat until thickened.
Pour into onion and potato mixture; add clams only reserving the juice. Add Worcestershire and bacon.
Add the reserved juice a bit at a time to reach desired consistency. (Note: this will create a less thick soup, so do not add unless a thinner soup is desired.) Stir and gently cook over moderate heat for 15-20 minutes. Garnish with parsley, paprika and chives, if using.