by Jennifer Burns, Dan’s Market
- One 12-ounce package fresh udon noodles (or substitute with dry pasta/noodles)
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 pound tofu, cut into bite size pieces (optional)
- 2 tablespoons white miso (shiro miso) or 2 miso soup packets
- 1/2 cup green onions, diced
- 3 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
Cook the udon noodles according to the package directions, drain and set aside.
In a large saucepan, bring the stock to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and add the carrots and cook until the carrots are crisp-tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and tofu, if using, cook for 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Spoon the miso in a medium bowl and add a ladleful of hot broth. Whisk until the miso is completely dissolved, then pour the entire miso mixture into the pot with the soup. Do not boil the soup with the miso. Stir in the noodles and the green onions. Serve with chili garlic sauce.