by Jennifer Burns, Dan’s Market
- 1/2 cup prepared barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 pound portobello mushroom caps, (about 5 medium), gills removed, diced
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 3 cups spinach, washed and loosely packed
- 8 large tortillas
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup salsa or pico de gallo
- 3 green onions, diced
Combine barbecue sauce, tomato paste and vinegar in a bowl.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add onion, jalapeno, salt and pepper. Cook for an additional 4-5 minutes; stirring frequently. Add the spinach. Cook for another 1-2 minutes; stirring frequently. Transfer the vegetables to the bowl with the barbecue sauce mixture; stir to combine. Wipe out the pan.
Place tortillas on a work surface. Brush remaining oil on one side of each of the tortillas. On the non oiled side, spread some of the cheese, then some of the mushroom and barbeque mixture on four of the tortillas. Place another tortilla on top with the oil side facing out.
Add 1 quesadilla at a time and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden. Cut each quesadilla into wedges. Top with sour cream, salsa or pico de gallo and green onions. Serve immediately.