by Jennifer Burn, Dan’s Market
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon white onion, finely minced
- 8 slices rye or marble rye bread
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1 pound turkey lunchmeat, sliced
- 4 slices Swiss or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup sauerkraut or prepared coleslaw
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Combine the first 6 ingredients in a bowl with salt and pepper to make the Thousand Island dressing. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours for best flavor.
Lay out the bread. Butter one side of each piece. Spread some of the dressing on the other side of each piece of bread. Place some of the turkey, one piece of cheese and some of the sauerkraut or coleslaw on four of the piece of bread on the dressing side (non-buttered side). In a medium to low large frying pan, place the buttered side down with the toppings. Add the other piece of bread on top with the buttered side facing outward. Cover. Cook on each side for 3-4minutes or until golden brown and the cheese has melted through. Cut in half or diagonal. Serve immediately.