by Jennifer Burns, Dan’s Market
- 1 pound red lentils, rinsed (brown lentils can be substituted)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1” pieces
- 1/2 pound snap peas
- 1/4 pound carrots, sliced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/3 cup parsley or cilantro
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Add the lentils, bay leaf, and garlic and cover the lentils with cold water by 2 inches. Cover the pan with a tight fitting lid and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, about 10 minutes. Uncover, reduce the heat to medium low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper, stir to combine, and continue to simmer until the lentils are just tender, about 10 to 12 minutes more. Let cool.
Bring a pot of water up to a boil. Cook the asparagus and snow peas for 3 minutes. Drain. Place in bowl of very cold water and ice to stop the cooking process for 2 minutes. Drain. Set aside.
Ina large bowl add the lentils, asparagus, snap peas, tomato and parsley or cilantro. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, honey, garlic, curry powder, oil and salt and pepper. Pour dressing over the lentil salad. Mix well. Serve immediately at room temperature or chill for 2-3 hours and serve cold.