2-alarm house fire doused near U of U

Posted at 6:05 AM, Mar 18, 2013
and last updated 2013-03-18 19:25:50-04

SALT LAKE CITY -- Fire crews responded to a fire at a Salt Lake City home Monday morning.

The fire started at 1377 East Tomahawk Drive around 5:30 a.m. Flames were seen coming from the roof of the home and smoke was visible from two blocks away.

Firefighters initially thought the home was vacant since there was a "For Sale" sign displayed, but discovered there was an elderly man inside when the fire started. He escaped without injuries.

A long, winding driveway caused difficulties for firefighters as only one engine and two trucks could approach the home at a time.

"[It took] about a thousand feet of hose to get from the hydrant up to the home. So, our firefighters did a great job of quickly assembling the hose, getting it together and getting water up to the fire," said Jasen Asay, Salt Lake City Fire Department.

Neighbors said the homeowners had been living there since the late 80s. The home was listed for sale at $3.8 million. The home is about one mile north of the University of Utah campus.

Fire crews say heat tape on the roof was the cause of the fire.