by Jennifer Burns, Intermountain Medical Center Heart Institute
- 1 cup Quinoa, washed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 limes, juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed (no sodium, or dry beans)
- 1 tomato, diced
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Salt substitute and Pepper, to taste
Wash and rinse quinoa. Bring water and quinoa to a boil in saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer covered until all water is absorbed (about 10-15 minutes). Let cool.
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, cumin, red pepper flakes, salt substitute and pepper. Combine cooled quinoa, beans, tomatoes and green onions in a large bowl. Drizzle olive oil dressing over salad and toss in cilantro.