Teen faces felony after fake calls lead to school lockdowns

Posted at 3:04 PM, May 28, 2013
and last updated 2013-05-28 18:01:03-04

CLEARFIELD, Utah -- A 13-year-old boy in Clearfield was arrested Tuesday after police said he prank called 911 and claimed a shooter was inside his school.

Just before the end of seventh period at North Davis Jr. High School, three phone calls came into Clearfield Police dispatch that initiated a response from about 80 officers from multiple agencies.

“He said there was somebody with a gun, and he was whispering, saying, ‘I can’t say anymore, I can’t say anymore,’ and ‘North Davis,’” said Sgt. Kyle Jeffries of Clearfield Police.

Inside, seventh grader Mason Moeai said his teacher announced the school was in lockdown and that this was not just a drill.

“She turned off the lights, shut the blinds, locked the door and we all got into the corner,” Moeai said. “Then we heard sirens and then some kids started crying and then people were nervous, starting to call their Moms.”

Jeffries said a 13-year-old student inside the school called police twice and hung up and then once more, claiming there was a 15 year old inside the school with a gun. It wasn’t until classmates came forward admitting they had seen the student calling police that they realized it could all be a prank.

“It’s extremely terrible for all of us,” Jeffries said. “We’ve got thousands of kids that are crying and upset and worried. And not only at this school, but at the other two schools that were locked down.”

Students spent nearly an hour hiding in their classrooms as police scoured the building for a potential gunman.

“Texted my mom and told her I loved her, I was scared,” said Moeai. His mother drove straight to the school when she saw the message.

“Especially with everything that’s happened in the past, I was terrified. It scared me to death,” Ann Moeai said.

Police arrested the 13-year-old student they believe made the calls on suspicion of terroristic threats, which is a felony. He was booked into the Farmington Bay Juvenile Detention Center Tuesday night.

Clearfield High School and South Clearfield Elementary were also placed on lockdown, due to their proximity to the school.