SALT LAKE CITY -- Residents of a Salt Lake City condominium complex were forced to evacuate their homes Thursday morning due to a two-alarm fire.
The fire started around 10:45 a.m. at 1133 E Brickyard Rd (3190 S.) Firefighters from the Salt Lake City Fire Department responded to the scene.
Salt Lake City fire officials say that the accidental fire started in the ground level of one condo in the six-unit building, then spread through a wall into the attic and into a neighboring unit.
Firefighters were able to contain the fire and prevent it from spreading to any of the other four units, but all six suffered smoke damage.
One of the condos was being renovated, and a worker said he accidentally started a small fire as he was soldering pipes in the bathroom. He says he thought he'd extinguished the fire, but it started back up around 30 minutes later and got too big for him to extinguish so he called emergency crews.
Upon arrival, firefighters saw heavy smoke coming from a building that contained six condominiums. The firefighters entered one of the units and found that the fire had originated on the ground level and spread through a wall up into the attic. Once the fire was in the attic, it spread to a neighboring unit.
There were no human injuries, and a cat was able to be revived by a firefighter using a special oxygen mask. A snake in its aquarium was also rescued.
Police say there are 14 people living in the complex, and some of those residents will be displaced. They're being assisted by the Red Cross.