by Jennifer Burns, Intermountain Medical Center Heart Institute
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 onion, finely chopped Click to see savings
- 3 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1 pound lean ground chicken Click to see savings
- 2 tablespoons brown mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried coriander
- 1/2 cup canola mayonnaise or Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/2 jalapeno (optional)
- 8 small whole wheat dinner rolls
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Salt Substitute and Pepper, to taste
In a frying pan up to medium to high heat, add oil. Cook onion until translucent, about 3 minutes, then add two garlic cloves and cook 30 seconds longer. Remove mixture from pan and let cool.
In a large bowl combine chicken, onion mixture, mustard, paprika, coriander, salt substitute and pepper; mix well. Form into 8 small patties. Preheat grill to medium; oil when hot. Cook burgers for about 4-5 minutes on each side.
In a small bowl, combine the remaining garlic clove, mayonnaise or yogurt, tomato paste lemon juice, cilantro, jalapeno (if using), salt substitute and pepper. Mix well. Spread on each roll. Top with chicken burgers and tomato slice. Serve immediately.