by Jennifer Burns, Jamba Juice
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1/3 cup fresh strawberries, pureed
- 1/2 cup, pecans, chopped
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- coconut oil or canola butter for the griddle
- 16 ounces strawberries, fresh or frozen (unsweetened, thawed)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
In a mixing bowl, combine the egg, milk and sugar. Stir in the flax seed, strawberry puree and pecans. Mix in the baking powder and salt. Gently stir in the flour until all ingredients are combined.
Heat a griddle over medium to medium-high heat. Add about a teaspoon of coconut oil or canola butter to coat the griddle. Work in batches and drop the batter by a heaping ¼ cup into the skillet. Once the batter begins to bubble, flip and cook the same amount of time on the other side.
For the sauce, puree strawberries to a chunky puree. Heat them in a small saucepan over a low flame, until they are just warm. Stir in lemon juice and maple syrup. Serve pancakes warm with the strawberry sauce.
Makes 6 pancakes.