by Jennifer Burns, Intermountain Medical Center Heart Institute
- 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small carrot, cut into 1-inch lengths, julienned
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch lengths, julienned
- 2 tsp grated ginger root
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/8 tsp mild red pepper flakes
- 2 cups mixed vegetables (broccoli florets, snow peas, asparagus, etc.)
- 1/4 tsp fresh black pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 pound cooked chicken breast, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Juice of 1/2 lime
Cook the quinoa according to package directions. Set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a wok or large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the carrots and bell pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened slightly. Add the ginger and garlic, and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Stir in the red pepper flakes and mixed vegetables, plus black pepper.
Remove vegetables from the pan and set aside. Return the pan to heat, and add remaining tablespoon of oil. Add the quinoa and egg, and stir-fry to cook the egg, 30 seconds. Return the vegetables to the pan along with the chicken, scallions, cilantro, soy sauce and lime juice. Stir to combine, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute. Serve hot, or at room temperature.