LINDON, Utah – A boil order for culinary water in Lindon City that was put in place after E. coli was found in the water supply Friday was lifted Sunday at around 8:30 p.m.
Officials said the water had been disinfected and flushed, and they said water samples were taken from multiple locations throughout the city and tested.
City officials said residents who have not been running their taps or faucets for the last 24 hours should run water through each tap for two minutes before using the water again. Click here for more information from the city.
Lindon City officials issued a drinking water warning for its residents Friday after E. coli bacteria was found in the water supply, and that warning remained in effect until Sunday evening.
At Juice Press in Lindon, business hours were cut short Friday after the discovery was made.
“Since one o’clock, we haven’t made a penny,” said manager Ted Hansen.
The smoothie shop was one of several eateries forced to close early after learning about the contamination.
City officials advised everyone using Lindon’s water supply to boil their water for approximately one minute before using it, which made business difficult to continue for many.
“Almost 50 percent of all our product goes out with water,” said Hansen. “The ice that we make for our smoothies, the water that goes into our smoothies, we have shaved ice, everything, we had to shutdown.”
The warnings didn’t deter customers from stopping at Smoking Apple BBQ on State Street, where a water filtration system allowed employees to carry on as usual.
“For about a year, we’ve had our ice maker hooked up to that, and so all of the ice is all sanitized and filtered, so it makes it nice,” said owner, Eric Warner.
According to Lindon Police Chief Cody Cullimore, the bacteria was discovered during a regularly scheduled test performed monthly on the water.
Cullimore said they had yet to determine when or where the contamination occurred in the city’s water supply, which consists of four wells and spring sources in Dry Canyon.
To date, there have been no reports of illnesses related to E. coli.
“If they have ingested the bacteria, it’s nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, head aches. Those types of symptoms are the initial signs that you’ve got E. coli in your system. E. coli normally isn’t fatal, but it can be a very nasty bug to have and it can take a long time to get rid of,” said Cullimore.