OGDEN, Utah – A family escaped safely after their home was struck by lightning and caught fire Saturday night.
The owners of the home said it felt like a bomb went off when their home took a direct hit from a lightning bolt, and they said they aren’t sure if the loud noise was thunder or the roof collapsing.
Homeowner Terry Greenman said the lightning strike started a fire.
“The lightning hit the top of the finial, splintered it, and then the energy came the below the metal cap, and I think that's the only reason all the windows didn't blow out, then it started a fire up there,” he said.
Greenman said he had come home from vacation a day early, and he said he doesn’t think anyone would have seen the fire in time if he had stayed as long as planned.
“I don't think anybody would have seen the fire until it was too late,” he said.
Part of the home’s roof is damaged, and much of the electrical wiring was fried. Scott Baker, Greenman’s brother-in-law, said the damage was extensive.
“Just taking up some of the plaster off the floor so we could get this cleaned up a little bit, I would suspect there is going to be a lot of work to do in here,” he said.
Greenman said he was more worried about his collection of antique bottles as the flames grew.
“A lot of them are museum quality, and so they're worth saving,” he said.
Greenman said he was able to save most of his collection from the flames, and he said the remnants were insured.
Firefighters put out the flames before they spread to the rest of the home, but the house will still need a new roof.
Greenman said it was a frightening situation to be in.
“It did not pass rapidly,” he said. “As the firemen came up here, we were dodging lightning bolts all over the place out there. It was pretty scary.”
There were no injuries reported.