by Jennifer Burns, Jamba Juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups mango chunks
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- French toast:
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar Click to see savings
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk Click to see savings
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten Click to see savings
- 12 slices multi-grain bread
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- Powdered sugar (optional)
Preheat oven to 250°. Place wire rack on a baking sheet and place in oven.
To prepare syrup, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in pan. Add mango to pan; sauté 4-5 minutes or until tender. Stir in maple syrup and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Keep warm.
To prepare French toast, combine granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add milk, vanilla, salt, and eggs; whisk until well blended. Working with 1 bread slice at a time, place bread slice into milk mixture, turning gently to coat both sides.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Melt 1 teaspoon butter in pan. Add 3 coated bread slices; cook 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Place on rack in oven to keep warm. Repeat procedure three times with cooking spray, remaining 3 teaspoons butter, and remaining 9 coated bread slices. Serve French toast with compote. Sprinkle with slivered almonds and powdered sugar, if desired.