News

Actions

Roof of Layton hardware store catches fire

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 8:35 AM, Jul 25, 2013
and last updated 2013-07-25 10:35:02-04

LAYTON — Firefighters worked quickly to extinguish a fire on the rooftop of Ace Hardware in Layton Thursday morning.

The fire started around 1:30. Firefighters had the fire under control in about 10 minutes. Doug Bitton, Fire Inspector for the Layton City Fire Department, said a ruptured natural gas line was a contributing factor in the fire.

“Not sure if that was the cause of this fire, but there was a natural gas line that did help fuel this fire,” Bitton said.

The gas was turned off and people were evacuated from nearby businesses.

The roof of Ace Hardware sustained significant damage and water got into the store. The business is expected to be closed for at least two days while repairs are made.

No one was injured.