News

Actions

Man rushes to save neighbors in SLC apartment fire

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 7:49 AM, Aug 02, 2013
and last updated 2013-08-02 09:56:55-04

SALT LAKE CITY -- A Salt Lake City man rushed to assist his neighbors in an apartment fire early Friday morning.

The fire started shortly before 3:00 in an apartment on the third floor of a complex at 700 N 900 W.

Kacey Higham, who lives in an adjacent building at the apartment complex, saw flames in the balcony of the apartment and dialed 911.

Higham then rushed outside to alert his neighbors. Higham said he began knocking on doors and asked other people if anyone had checked on the residents of the apartment where the fire started.

"[I] went inside and everything was engulfed in flames," Higham said. "One guy came flying out of the bedroom and went right past me. I went and talked to him. He said his brother was still in there, so I went back in there and got his brother."

Firefighters responded quickly and saw heavy smoke and flames coming from the apartment.
They were concerned that the fire would spread to neighboring units, and were able to get the flames under control within two minutes of their arrival.

They said the building isn't a total loss, but the apartment where the fire started will need to be remodeled.

One resident sustained minor injuries, but did not require hospitalization. Some residents were allowed to return to their apartments Friday morning, but at least one was working with the Red Cross to find temporary shelter.