News

Actions

Teen appears in court for alleged murder of adopted brothers

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 5:49 PM, Aug 27, 2013
and last updated 2013-08-27 19:49:33-04

FARMINGTON -- The defense attorney for a 15-year-old boy accused of killing his two adopted brothers waived a preliminary hearing during their appearance in juvenile court Tuesday.

The preliminary hearing was to see if there was enough evidence for the teenager to stand trial. It’s not an admission of guilt but it allows the courts to move forward with the trial phase.

"We conceded, based on the evidence we've been provided so far, they would meet that standard and are preparing to proceed to the next stage, which is the question of whether he'll be certified as an adult," Utzinger said.

The West Point boy allegedly stabbed his 4- and 10-year-old brothers multiple times in their home then fled on May 22. His mother found the boys’ bodies.

Police located the suspect a few hours later in Layton.

Prosecutors now hope to charge the teen as an adult.

"Well there's a lot of factors in the statute including his maturity, background, the circumstances so there's a lot of info we need to gather,” Utzinger said. “Obviously we think someone who barely turned 15 should remain in the juvenile system."

That determination of how the boy will be tried will be discussed over the next two months.

Despite the allegations that his son murdered his two adopted sons, the teen’s father sat by him in court.

"Yes his dad sat with him at all the other hearings as well,” Utzinger said. “How is that dynamic working, this is such an unusual set of circumstances? It's a personal, family matter but I think the family is coping as best they can."

The suspect is due back in juvenile court Oct. 8.