For the Pesto:
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves (from about 2 bunches)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts or almonds
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan plus additional for garnish
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Pecorino Sardo or Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Pasta:
- 12 ounces whole wheat pasta (such as penne or farfalle)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bunch asparagus (about 14 ounces), trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces or 1 10
- ounce package frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups baby spinach or arugula
Make pesto: Combine basil, nuts, oil and garlic in a food processor. Blend until paste forms, stopping often to push down basil. Add cheeses and salt. Blend until smooth. Transfer to small bowl.
Prepare pasta: Cook pasta per package directions. Drain and return to pot. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat while pasta cooks. Add asparagus or peas and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Cook 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook until asparagus or peas are tender 2-3 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
Add pesto, spinach, asparagus or peas and tomatoes to pasta and toss until well combined. Sprinkle with grated or shaved Parmesan. Serve warm.