SALT LAKE CITY — Several people had to be evacuated from their homes Thursday night after a gas leak.
Police said a car hit a gas line at 524 North Dexter Street. They said when officers responded they could smell a strong odor of gas from a block away.
Police quickly got everyone out of a four unit apartment complex in the area. Salt Lake Fire Capt. Kyle Lavender said fire were able to shut of the valve before things could have gotten worse.
“This had the potential to be a bigger incident,” Lavender said. “The police department did a great job. They came here expecting a minor car accident, found a very different situation, did great job evacuating people, isolated the area so that we could come in and do our job.”
A gas company is expected to fix the line on Friday.
Police are now searching for the car that hit the line.