Man charged with threat of terrorism described as pleasant by those who knew him

Posted at 4:41 PM, Sep 24, 2013
and last updated 2013-09-24 18:41:57-04

A Salt Lake City man was arrested Monday on a charge of a terroristic threat after admitting to carry out two mass shootings and a bombing, according to police.

Jack Stiles, 42, related his plan to crisis worker at West Valley City hospital Aug. 12 who then called police.

Stiles planned to carry out the attacks Wednesday at City Creek Center, Sugarhouse Theater 10 to coincide with the anniversary of his mother’s death. He also planned to bomb a UTA bus or Trax according to charging documents.

As the threats became more specific and the date got closer, police arrested him at his apartment Monday.

Stiles is currently in the Salt Lake County Jail being held on a $1 million bond.

Those who know Stiles were shocked by the allegations. Tom Adams, an acquaintance, said he could barely believe the news.

“This morning when I heard I'm like; 'Oh my gosh! Because it was him, the guy I'd met through a church activity," Adams said.

Those who met Stiles said he was a perfectly fine person when he was on his medication. They say he dealt with mental health issues in the past but they don’t believe he had the means or weapons to carry out any kind of attack.

“All I know is he was a good guy, pleasant to be around and something must've really pushed him over the edge to do something like this," Adams said.

A man claiming to be Stiles’ former bishop from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said he was shocked and saddened to hear about the arrest.

When asked if Stiles was capable of carrying out the attacks, the bishop said if Satan takes over, yes.

“He (Satan) can take over to the point where he can have you do things before you realize you've done them...yes I do," the bishop said.

The bishop added Stiles never seemed like a person who could carry out a plan in this type of situation.

“He was too pleasant to be around,” he said.

Stiles will have his first appearance in court on Wednesday, the anniversary of his mother’s death.