News

Actions

Former Miss Riverton accused of throwing explosives agrees to plea deal

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 9:30 AM, Sep 26, 2013
and last updated 2013-09-26 13:54:19-04

SALT LAKE CITY -- The former Miss Riverton accused of tossing homemade bombs agreed to a plea deal Thursday.

Kendra Gill, 18, will plead guilty to a misdemeanor charge of attempted possession of a chemical or incendiary device, reduced from the felony charge previously filed.

As part of the deal, Gill agreed to serve 200 hours of community service and pay court costs to avoid prosecution.

Gill and three of her friends are accused of tossing homemade bombs into driveways in Riverton. The four teens are also accused of throwing the homemade bombs at people, but according to charging documents, the teens claimed it was all a prank aimed at scaring some of their friends.

Gill's attorney Wally Bugden said the former beauty queen feels sorry for what has come from something that began as a joke.

"I think it's embarrassing what happened, but none of this was done out of a spirit of mean spiritedness," he said. "This was a prank. This was something intended to be funny and ended up not being funny."

If Gill completes the community service and keeps a clean record, the case will be dismissed in 12 months.