Man charged in teen’s death seeks parole

Posted at 4:58 PM, Oct 08, 2013
and last updated 2013-10-08 23:49:50-04

DRAPER -- The man charged in connection with the disappearance and death of a 16-year-old North Ogden girl is seeking to be released from prison.

Eric Millerberg appeared before the Utah Board of Pardons and Parole on Tuesday on forgery and credit card fraud convictions. He made only fleeting references to his upcoming trial in connection with Alexis Rasmussen's death.

"About four months from now, it's all expected to be resolved after that," said Millerberg.

Rasmussen was babysitting for Millerberg and his wife, Dea, when she vanished in September 2011. Weber County prosecutors allege the teen overdosed on drugs provided by the Millerbergs. Her body was found five weeks later, dumped on the side of a road in Morgan County.

Since he was returned to the prison on a parole violation, Eric Millerberg has been incarcerated in a maximum security unit. Parole board hearing officer Andy Taylor noted that he has been attacked while behind bars.

"You were in two altercations," Taylor said. "But they were determined to be in self-defense."

"Yes they were," Millerberg replied.

One of those attacks resulted in Millerberg being stabbed by a cellmate. Millerberg has also faced disciplinary action while incarcerated -- for "brew" and a "new tattoo."

"I was guilty of both," Millerberg told Taylor.

"Where could you put a new tattoo? I don't see any space left," Taylor said.

"Well, it was to cover something up," Millerberg laughed.

On his neck, Millerberg recently had a tattoo that had the name of his wife, "Dea." It now reads, "Death." She is also facing charges in connection with Rasmussen's death and may testify against her husband.

In a surprise announcement, Millerberg said he would be divorcing her and remarrying his first wife. She attended his hearing in a show of support.

"I guess irreconcilable differences were reconciled," he said.

At the conclusion of his hearing, corrections officers allowed Millerberg to turn his chair around and see her. The woman smiled at him and waved.

Taylor made no recommendation about when Millerberg would be released on the forgery and fraud charges. The full Utah Board of Pardons and Parole will meet and a decision will be issued in several weeks.