SALT LAKE CITY -- Crews are working to clean up a chemical spill that happened in Salt Lake City Wednesday morning.
Officers said a toxic chemical spilled inside a Rinchem Company Chemical Management Services building at 5178 West and 150 South at around 8:45 a.m.
Salt Lake City Fire spokesman Jasen Asay said employees in the building quickly evacuated. He said the spilled chemical is called tcir-zr8690tb, and it's highly toxic and flammable.
"It has been stored in one gallon glass bottles and there were 20 of them that were wrapped in Styrofoam and then stored in cardboard and they were up on a shelf," Asay said. "We think that the shelf had some kind of malfunction, and the container of the 20 bottles fell. We've been told that it's about three gallons of chemical that's on the ground."
Asay said it doesn't appear that anyone was exposed to the chemical. Employees were treated at the scene, and they appeared to be alright.
FOX 13 will update this story with the latest details as soon as they become available.