- 2 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter or olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 can(s) (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 quart(s) homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano or marjoram
- 1/2 cup(s) half-and-half
- 1 pound(s) (about 30) bite-size mozzarella balls
- 1 jar(s) small pimiento-stuffed olives
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Melt butter or add oil in a soup pot over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes.
Add tomatoes, stock, and oregano or marjoram, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently until thickened, about 45 minutes.
Puree soup in small batches until smooth. Return to pan and slowly pour in half-and-half, stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper.
Make the eyeballs: Using a small knife, scoop out a hole from each mozzarella ball.
Halve each pimiento-stuffed olive crosswise. Place a half, cut side out, in the hole in each to make eyeballs.
Ladle hot soup into shallow bowls. Float 4 or 5 eyeballs in each bowl. Serve immediately.
Sponsor: Dan’s Market