New Layton home destroyed in blaze

Posted at 12:17 PM, Dec 14, 2013
and last updated 2013-12-14 14:17:18-05

LAYTON -- A new Layton home was destroyed in a fire early Saturday morning, Layton Fire officials said.

Fire crews responded to a new home under construction at 432 N. 3475 West at 2 a.m. where flames were seen coming through the roof of the structure.

There were no residents in the house – it was being finished on the inside, according to a press release from Layton Fire.

The blaze took nearly an hour to get under control as crews battled the flames in 18-degree weather.

Doug Bitton, spokesman for Layton Fire, said the low temperatures caused the water to freeze, which created slip hazards for the crews. A snow plow was ordered to supply sand and salt to the fire ground.

“The home appears to be a total loss if not substantial damage costs of over $200,000,” Bitton said.

Investigators are looking at all the portable heaters used in the house as a possible cause.

“Portable heaters in cold conditions can be a serious fire risk -- all the public needs to be very cautious using portable heaters,” Bitton said. “Be sure they are plugged directly into wall outlets, not extension cords and keep a 3-foot clearance of all combustible material such as drapes, bedding and paper products away.”

Syracuse and Sunset Fire Departments assisted with a total of 26 fire fighters on scene.