- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup green or white onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can white hominy, low sodium, rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, low sodium, rinsed
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes (do not drained)
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added stewed tomatoes, chopped (do not drain)
- 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream (optional)
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped or torn
- Black Pepper, to taste
Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and black pepper; sauté 4-5 minutes. Stir in chili powder and next 5 ingredients (chili powder through stewed tomatoes); bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes. Spoon 1 1/4 cups chili into each of 4 bowls; top each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream, 1 tablespoon cheese and cilantro.
Note: Hominy is made of dried corn kernels from which the hulls and germs have been removed. You can find it in the canned-vegetable section of the market. : If hominy is not available, you can substitute 1 (11-ounce) can low sodium white corn or 1 (15.25-ounce) can whole-kernel corn, drained.