OGDEN, Utah — Authorities have come together to improve the safety of people who use a crosswalk located in an area where multiple pedestrians have been hit and killed.
Officials with Utah Department of Transportation said they teamed up with Ogden City and will be installing lights above the crosswalk at Binford and Wall Avenue.
There will also a button installed that will activate flashing lights as pedestrians cross. UDOT Spokesman Vic Sanders said the measures will improve the safety of the intersection, but only if people are willing to use the crosswalk rather than crossing where convenient.
“This is the most important element of this whole system: If people do not activate the signals, if they don’t stay within the crosswalk, we can’t do anything to help their safety,” he said.
The crosswalk is located near St. Anne’s Center.
- After deaths and near misses, a crosswalk on Wall Avenue
- 1 injured, 1 dead after struck at dangerous Ogden crosswalk
- Crosswalk recommended for deadly stretch of Wall Ave.
- Grief turns to outrage after another deadly auto-pedestrian crash in Ogden
- Family of hit and run victim pleads for driver to come forward