OGDEN, Utah -- Art Holston was grateful to be walking his dog Thursday.
“I was scared, I was worried, I had tears in my eyes and I was scared because I thought my dogs were gone,” Holston said.
On Wednesday night, the Holstons were away when their kitchen burst into flames. Inside, their two dogs, Stack and Lady, were trapped inside.
“When crews arrived they found quite a bit of heavy fire and smoke coming from the house,” said Eric Bauman of the Ogden Fire Department.
The Holstons, who were nearby, rushed home.
“When they came out they looked close to death,” Louise Brenda Holston said. “They really did. They were just limping…I just didn’t say a word... because I didn't want it to be true.”
Firefighters came out of the smoke, carrying the dogs.
“When they came out they looked close to death they really did, they were just limping,” Louise Brenda Holston said
“I wasn't worried about the other stuff, it'll come back, but my dog: That's what I was worried about,” Art Holston said.
Stack and Lady were taken to the ambulance. Pet-sized oxygen masks were put on the dogs, filling their lungs with clean air.
“He wasn't moving much, but he really liked those air tanks... he kept going back for more,” Art Holston said.
“Both of the dogs in this case had received smoke inhalation,” Bauman said. “They're having a very difficult time breathing, so it allows them to have a high amount of oxygen.”
Just this month, a donation was made to the Ogden City Fire Department - specifically for the animal oxygen masks. Now each ambulance and fire truck has a kit.
“Whoever donated them to them, I'm very proud and I say 'Thank you' for that," Art Holston said.
Both dogs were checked out by a vet and are expected to be okay.