Police ID couple after apparent CO poisoning

Posted at 8:23 PM, Feb 01, 2014
and last updated 2014-02-02 14:39:46-05

WEST JORDAN, Utah –Officials released the names of the couple who died after apparent carbon monoxide poisoning Saturday night.

Maria Lopez-Landaderde, 38, and Jose Lito-Solorzano, 44, were found unresponsive in a West Jordan home.

Fire officials say the married couple appeared to work for or own a carpet cleaning business working in the home at 6057 Miners Mesa Drive Saturday. They were found unresponsive in the first floor of the home by three people who had been planning to rent the residence.

Those who found the man and woman, who did not wish to be identified, said they had been nearby with a truck full of their belongings while waiting to get approval to begin moving in. After they didn't receive word as they expected, they went to the home and found the victims.

Fire department officials said when they arrived, a van appearing to belong to a carpet cleaning company was parked inside the garage. They said the van was running and the garage door was closed.

"There was an auxiliary motor that runs that they use as they clean the carpet and it appears that carbon monoxide was getting into the home, causing the two adults to become unconscious and suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning," said West Jordan Fire Chief Marc Mcelreath.

The couple were transported to the hospital in critical condition, where they later died.