Millerberg sentenced in Alexis Rasmussen’s death

Posted at 3:49 PM, Mar 18, 2014
and last updated 2014-03-19 00:32:15-04

OGDEN, Utah -- The man convicted in the disappearance and death of 16-year-old Alexis Rasmussen was sentenced to serve up to life in prison.

Eric Millerberg was sentenced to serve 5-to-life for child abuse homicide, 1-to-15 years for obstruction of justice and up to 5 years on unlawful sexual conduct and desecration of a corpse. The judge ordered the sentences to be carried out consecutively.

In court, Millerberg offered an apology of sorts -- but pointed out to the judge that he wasn't the only one involved.

"I'm willing to shoulder the responsibility for the things that I've done and the roles that I played. This isn't all mine. I feel for their loss," he said, referring to Alexis' family. "I know that doesn't mean much coming from me, I can imagine how the family feels, but I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

Speaking to Millerberg in court, Alexis' mother, Dawn Miera, was in tears.

"My family will never be the same," Miera said. "Even if you're not going to accept responsibility, you can still be sorry for what has happened."

Millerberg was convicted last month of giving Alexis a combination of heroin and methamphetamine back in 2011. Prosecutors say he and his wife, Dea Millerberg, engaged in sexual conduct with the girl. When she died of an overdose, prosecutors alleged the couple dumped Alexis' body off I-84 in Morgan County.

Her badly decomposed remains were found 38 days later.

Prosecutors insisted that Millerberg was to blame for Alexis' death, and told the judge he has shown zero remorse for the crime.

"I didn't see him blink back one tear," deputy Weber County Attorney Chris Shaw said. "Does he assume any responsibility?"

Second District Court Judge Scott Hadley called Alexis' death "especially egregious."

"The sexual conduct, it was so depraved," the judge told Millerberg. "She was simply an immature victim and you took advantage."

Millerberg's wife, Dea, is facing criminal charges in connection with Alexis' death. She was offered an immunity deal in exchange for her testimony. What she said in court could not be used against her.

Weber County Attorney Dee Smith told FOX 13 outside of court he had been speaking with her attorney about a possible resolution to her case.