4 people displaced after mobile home fire in Layton

Posted at 7:52 AM, Apr 12, 2014
and last updated 2014-04-12 09:53:12-04

LAYTON — Four Layton residents have been displaced after a fire tore through their mobile home early Saturday morning.

At approximately 3:55 a.m. Layton Fire was called to a structure fire at Lakeview Estates Mobile Home Park at 2600 N. Hill Field Road. Two men and two young children, ages about 4 and 2, evacuated before fire crews arrived.

The family was able to rescue their dog but their cat did not escape the flames. They also had a pet iguana that was left behind in the house that was later found alive, Layton fire officials said.

One of the residents reported waking up and smelling smoke, said Doug Bitton, Layton Fire spokesman. When the resident walked through the house he discovered flames coming from the back of the structure.

There were smoke detectors in the home but they were not operational.

The fire originated from the laundry room. It was discovered, Bitton said, that clothes had accumulated on the backside of the dryer blocking air flow.

Bitton said the manufactured home had extensive damage to the laundry room, kitchen as well as smoke and water damage.

Cost of damage amounts to approximately $40,000.

The Utah Red Cross was not called out and the family is staying with relatives in the area.