Police still searching for suspect in Layton woman’s fatal stabbing

Posted at 10:05 PM, Jun 09, 2014

LAYTON, Utah — Layton police are searching for a man who allegedly stabbed a woman to death Sunday night.

According to a press release from the Layton City Police Department, 45-year-old Joseph Castillo stabbed his estranged wife at a residence near 1000 North and 3200 West.

Police responded to the home shortly after 11 p.m. after receiving a report of domestic violence.

When officers arrived, they found Castillo had fled the scene on foot, according to the press release.

The victim, 36-year-old Kaylynn Spackman, was taken to Davis Hospital, where she died of her injuries.

According to a statement from Layton Police, three of Castillo and Spackman’s children were at the home at the time of the incident. Their 17-year-old son, the statement indicated, witnessed part of the incident and their 4-year-old and 8-year-old daughters were asleep.

"No Utah family should have to go through a tragedy like this -- it's just a terrible experience and you think it's never going to happen to me but it sure did," said Barney Alverson, the victim's grandfather. "My granddaughter was just a beautiful person, she was so sweet, she was a great mother and took care of those kids and she was also really sweet to Joe."

Castillo was married to Spackman for more than 20 years. According to neighbors, they have seen police outside this home before.

"Just in March they had gotten into an argument and I don't know what happened I just saw the policeman out here talking to him," said Debby, a neighbor.

According to family, in the past three months the couple had separated and a restraining order was filed against Castillo.

"He went sort of crazy in the head, he's been depressed, he's been very despondent and he just let events overtake his mind," Alverson said.

Spackman's family says the most heartbreaking part is explaining what happened to the couple's three children.

"My younger grandchildren have been told that their mother is in Heaven," Alverson said.

Police say the third child, the couple's 17-year-old son, tried to fight off his father.

"He feels a little bit bad about that that he wasn't able to prevent it," Alverson said.

Family and friends prayed together at a candle light vigil Monday night. But they say it's difficult to move forward when they know Castillo is still out there.

"I'd like Joe to do the right thing, turn himself in and atone for what he's done," Alverson said.

Castillo was described as 5 feet 2 inches tall and 130 pounds. He was last seen wearing a sleeveless green shirt and khaki shorts and he may have a cut on his forehead, police said.

Police said Castillo fled north from the home, but their search for him has since been expanded south into the Salt Lake Valley.

Anyone with information on Joseph Castillo’s whereabouts is asked to call Layton City Police at (801) 497-8300.