News

Actions

Fire destroys shed, artist’s shop in Mapleton

Posted at 4:24 PM, Jun 10, 2014

MAPLETON, Utah -- The fire destroyed two shed at a property at 1100 South Main Street in Mapleton on Tuesday.

The fire started just before 2 p.m. and it took firefighters about an hour to get it under control. The homeowner is a professional bronze sculptor and one of the sheds was his shop.

The homeowner said that earlier in the day he had clear some weeds by setting them on fire. He used a garden hose to extinguish that fire and thought it was completely out.

A couple of hours later, the homeowner said he could feel the heat of the fire inside of his home.

The fire ignited dry grass and spread to the south of the property, where a chicken coop and several large trees also burned.

No injuries were reported as a result of the fire.