News

Actions

Six homes damaged, family pet lost in 3-alarm Magna apartment fire

Six homes damaged, family pet lost in 3-alarm Magna apartment fire
Posted at 7:25 PM, Aug 11, 2014
and last updated 2014-08-12 12:41:13-04

MAGNA, Utah -- At least two apartments were destroyed and several others damaged in an apartment fire in Magna on Monday evening.

Unified Fire crews responded to a three-alarm apartment fire at 8046 W. 3405 South.

According to resident Joanie Wintle, the fire started inside her fiancee's home.

They were barbecuing outside on the porch when the grill suddenly exploded. Within seconds, their home was filled with smoke and flames.

“I'm just in shock. It's unbelievable. It's like how everyone says. It’s just unbelievable, and everything is gone in and instant,” Wintle said.

While the family and other tenants were able to get out uninjured, the Wintles’ family pet did not survive.

“I was really scared, and I was hoping she'd be OK. But she's not. So, it's just really sad.  I loved that dog so much, and now she's gone,” Wintle’s daughter Diana said.

Officials with Unified Fire Authority confirmed the grill was the source of the fire.

After burning through the first apartment, the flames then jumped to the home next door, destroying it.

A total of six units were impacted, according to officials.

Two suffered fire damage, while four other had water damage.