SALT LAKE CITY – The family of the woman who drank toxic tea at a local restaurant said her injuries have turned out to be worse than they had hoped.
Friday an attorney for Jan Harding said she underwent an endoscopy procedure and what doctors found was the opposite of what the family wanted to hear.
The scope procedure showed deep burns on the upper area of her esophagus.
Doctors said there are also severe burns throughout her mouth and throat.
The family said the burns were deeper and more extensive than it had hoped.
According to police, the 67-year-old woman ordered the drink from a Dickey’s Barbecue in South Jordan.
It turned out to be mixed with a cleaning chemical that burned her mouth and throat.
Harding has been in critical condition in the University of Utah Hospital’s burn unit since Sunday.